Phil Adams – simple, pragmatic brand strategy
What am I like to work with? This page is about chemistry. If you want to know what I’ve done, my career details are on my LinkedIn profile, I have a page with examples of previous work, and another with some testimonials.
So what is Phil Adams like to work with?
- I ask good questions and I listen well.
- I approach things from first principles and with an intelligent naivety.
- I am interested in organisational culture and I’m good at reading it.
- A common remark from my clients is that I understood them in ways that other external advisers had failed to do – “You just got us.”
- I like to do my own research. Depending on the nature of the project this might mean talking to clients, customers, members of staff, or relevant third parties. To be honest, I’m a little wary of projects that don’t involve this kind of work.
- I don’t presume to have the answers before I start the work.
- I don’t have any one-size-fits-all models. I adapt my approach to my clients’ circumstances.
- I have an ability to simplify things. Simple strategy is easier to execute. Simple strategy is easier to communicate.
- My recommendations are clear, precise and pragmatic. If you agree with them, you’ll know exactly what to do next.
I have some extra-curricular activities that do more than keeping me out of mischief. My unpaid work frequently informs my professional projects. My clients benefit from alternative perspectives on strategy, creativity, issue framing and storytelling from the worlds of activism, filmmaking and the performing arts.
I am co-founder and executive producer of a not-for-profit production company, All Hands On. We make documentary films about innovations in direct democracy. We work with progressive organisations, activists and political innovators.
I am on the board of trustees for Scottish Documentary Institute, a storytelling powerhouse with a progressive approach to supporting non-fiction filmmakers.
I was a non-executive board member of Puppet Animation Scotland (PAS) for six years, including three years as Chairperson between 2018 and 2021. PAS is a regularly funded organisation that nurtures artists and promotes subversive storytelling art forms of puppetry, animation and visual theatre.
I am co-founder and co-editor of A Longing Look, a magazine on Medium which publishes love letters to song lyrics.
I provide and bill for my services through my company, I Know Some People Ltd.
If you want to know more about my methods, beliefs and principles, here are some short posts on specific topics.