Phil Adams – simple, pragmatic brand strategy
What am I like to work with? And what are my credentials? These are the important questions. This page is about chemistry. If you want to know what I’ve done, my career details are on my LinkedIn profile, here are some examples of previous work, and here are some testimonials.
So what am I like to work with?
- I ask good questions and I listen well.
- I am very interested in organisational culture and I’ve become pretty good at reading it.
- I like to do my own research. Depending on the nature of the project this might mean talking to clients, customers, members of staff, or relevant third parties. To be honest, I’m a little wary of projects that don’t involve this kind of work.
- I don’t presume to have the answers before I start the work.
- I don’t have any one-size-fits-all models. I adapt my approach to my clients’ circumstances.
- I’m not afraid of simplicity. Simple strategy is easier to execute. Simple strategy is easier to communicate.
- My recommendations are clear, precise and pragmatic. If you agree with them, you’ll know exactly what to do next.
I have some extra-curricular activities that do more than keeping me out of mischief. My unpaid work frequently informs my professional projects. My clients benefit from alternative perspectives on strategy, creativity, issue framing and storytelling from the worlds of activism, filmmaking and the performing arts.
I am co-founder and executive producer of a not-for-profit production company, All Hands On. We make documentary films about innovations in direct democracy. We work with progressive organisations, activists and political innovators.
And I am non-executive Chairperson of Puppet Animation Scotland, a regularly funded organisation that nurtures artists and promotes subversive storytelling art forms of puppetry, animation and visual theatre.
I am on the board of trustees for Scottish Documentary Institute, a storytelling powerhouse with a progressive approach to supporting non-fiction filmmakers.
I am co-founder and co-editor of A Longing Look, a magazine on Medium which publishes love letters to song lyrics.
I provide and bill for my services through my company, I Know Some People Ltd.
If you want to know more about my methods, beliefs and principles, here are some short posts on specific topics.